The Sandlot Active Viewing Questions
Pause the video for each question. Write answers in complete sentences on a separate piece of paper. Label, staple, grade 1 point per answer, and turn in. Extra credit of one extra point per question is available for each extra sentence written.
1. (2.00) What is the literary device that is used at the beginning of the movie?
2. (2:00) What is the legend of Babe Ruth?
3. (2.00) Who else becomes a legend?
4. (2.00) What were the names of the two teams written on the narrator’s scorecard?
5. (2:40) What is the effect of the sneaker on home plate and how is it symbolic?
6. (3:23) What major event happened the summer that he moved in, according to Scotty?
7. (3:47) Why doesn’t Smalls have any friends?
8. (3:54) What is Smalls' stepfather's name?
9. (4:30) What has Bill promised to do for Scott?
10. (4:59) What does Bill’s sports room symbolize?
11. (6:04) How is the game at the sandlot a dream game?
12. (6:29) What effect does Scotty saying, "If I had known, I never would have gone?" have on the tone of the video?
13. (6:54) How is suspense created about the mystery behind the outfield fence?
14. (8:18) Why do you think that Scotty can’t throw and catch?
15. (9:15) What does the Erector Set show about Scotty’s character?
16. (10.00) What is Mom worried about?
17. (10.05) How is "I’m not good at anything" ironic?
18. (10.15) Why does Scotty think he is just an egghead and what is an egghead?
19. (12.45) Why is Scotty having so much trouble catching?
20. (12.00) How is baseball a metaphor for Scotty?
21. (13.40) How is Bill’s advice to "Keep your eye on the ball," ironic?
22. (14.06) When Benny first invites Smalls to play baseball with him, what excuse does Smalls give him?
23. (14.40) What date is on the license plate?
24. (14.45) What is the Coca-Cola billboard symbolic of?
25. (15.35) What does Scotty reveal about his character when he asks "Who’s that?" about The Great Bambino?
26. (16.00) Who are all the characters?
27. (17.11) Who, according to Benny, runs like a duck?
28. (17.20) What did Squints call Smalls when Rodriguez brought him to the sandlot?
29. (17.22) What does Rodriguez mean by "You’re part of the game?"
30. (17.50) What position did Benny put Smalls at in the beginning of the game?
31. (24.10) What is DeNunez's famous pitch?
32. (20.25) How can "This is baseball; you got to stop thinking" apply to more than just the game?
33. (22.00) How believable is the first catch and throw scene?
34. (22.25) What effect does the shadow of the dog on the fence create?
35. (23.15) What was the only hat that Scotty owned?
36. (23.15) What is Rodriguez doing figuratively by giving Smalls his old hat?
37. (23.40) What letter(s) is/are on the pitcher Kenny Nunez's baseball cap?
38. (27.45) What did Smalls have to do before going to the campout?
39. (28.50) Who had to explain to Smalls what a s'more was?
40. (30.00) According to the story that Squints told about The Beast, where did he used to live?
41. (30.30) According to Squints, how do the police learn about what the Beast had been doing?
42. (30.00 What parts of the beast story are obviously exaggerated?
43. (31.40) How long did the beast have to be chained up?
44. (33.00) What proved the beast story to Smalls?
45. (34.00 53.25) Where do the boys buy their baseballs?
46. (34.10) Who smiled at Squints?
47. (36.00) Why did the boys go to the pool instead of playing baseball?
48. (36.40) Who was the lifeguard at the community swimming pool?
49. (40.00) Why did Squints almost drown in the pool?
50. (41.30) How long did the boys get banned from the pool?
51. (41.36) Why did Squints walk a little taller?
52. (42.15) What night of the year do they get to have their one and only night game?
53. (45.00) What song plays in the background of the boys' annual night game?
54. (46.30) When the opposing baseball team came to the sandlot, what was the biggest insult?
55. (46.31) What's the name of the team that challenged the kids?
56. (46.40) Who was the catcher at the game against the Tigers?
57. (51.00) What is the scene with the chewing tobacco representative of ?
58. (49.15) Who paid for the guys' tickets for the carnival rides?
59. (52.30) What song was playing while they were on the ride that they threw up on?
60. (53.20) How is Bill’s leaving Smalls as the man of the house representative of one of the themes of the novel?
61. (54.00) What is the thing that happened that seemed like an omen?
62. (54.00) Why does Smalls go home to get the ball and what ball does he get?
63. (54.00) What did Mom say about the ball that was like "salt on the wound"?
64. (1:03.31) What is Small’s idea to get the ball back?
65. (1:03.45) What do the images of the kite, doll, arrow prove about the junkyard and how is it a metaphor?
66. (1:04.58) What happens with the broomstick and is it believable?
67. (1:00.00) What happens with the pan and is it believable?(1:06:03)
68. (1:08.28) What happens with the vacuums and is it believable?
69. (1:06.03) What do these scenes say about childhood memories and perceptions?
70. (1:09.18) What does Timmy suggest?
71. (1:11.15) What happened to Yeah-Yeah?
72. (1:14.30) What does Smalls use?
73. (1:15.30) What does Babe Ruth say about legends?
74. (1:16.00) What does Babe Ruth tell Benny to do in his dream?
75. (1:00.00) How is Babe’s advice to "Just jump over there and get it." a metaphor for life?
76. (1:00.00) What does the Babe say that most people miss out on?
77. (1:00.00) When Babe Ruth appears to Benny in a dream, what does he take with him and why?
78. (1:19.00) What lesson did Benny take from The Babe?
79. (1:19.30) Why does Benny have to do it?
80. (1:22.34) What movie is playing in the movie theater and how is it symbolic?
81. (1:27.52) What is he doing symbolically by making friends with the beast?
82. (1:25.56) What have the kids done that allows them to play forever and how is it a metaphor for the reward for facing your fears?
83. (1:29.18) What was the name of the big dog that lived next to the sandlot and how is it ironic?
84. (1:31.44) What names were on the ball that Mr. Myrtle wanted to trade?
85. (1:32.30) What does Mr. Mertle mean by ‘crowd the plate’?
86. (1:33.00) What did he compare baseball to?
87. (1:33.00) What can the high fastball be a metaphor for?
88. (1:33.00) How was Mr. Mertle blinded?
89. (1:33.00) When Mr. Mertle gives Scotty the signed baseball, who signed it and what year was it signed?
90. (1:34.00) Who was the last kid to move away?
91. (1:34.27) What does Yeah-Yeah pioneer when he grows up and how is it ironic?
92. (1:34.36) What happens to Bertram and how is it ironic?
93. (1:34.48) What do Timmy and Tommy go on to and how is it ironic?
94. (1:34.58) What does Squints do and how is it ironic?
95. (1:35.04) What career does Ham go on to and what is his name?
96. (1:35.14) Why does DeNunez call his little league team the Heaters?
97. (1:35.23) How is the dog’s name ironic?
98. (1:36.30) What does Benny “The Jet” do at the end of the movie, playing for the Dodgers?
99. (1:36.50) What did Smalls do with the fishing hat that he wore the first day at the sandlot and why?
100. (1:37.19) Who is the announcer and how do we know?